Monday, January 21, 2008

Welcome to this Blog


This blog will be dedicated to an exploration of the evolution of human consciousness. We stand on the cusp of a new era, at a crossroads that will lead us in one of two directions: either to the destruction of civilization as we know it, or firmly on a path to conscious evolution as a unified species. Change is happening. It is inevitable. The question is -- will we be "victims" of that change, or take full responsibility for the direction that change will take?

I have been asking myself these questions for years now:
  • what does it mean to be (fully) human?
  • what is our relationship to the divine?
  • what is "free will"? is there truly such a thing?
  • are we responsible for what we have created?
  • can we CHANGE what we have created and CREATE a new world?
  • do I have a "conscious choice"?and what does that mean?
  • am I responsible for alleviating suffering and creating "peace on earth"?
Of course, there are no easy answers. Philosophers, mystics and great thinkers have been attempting to answer these questions for millennia. I don't pretend to be one of them. What I want to do is use this forum to explore these ideas and post the writings of others on this topic.

I do believe in freedom of choice, personal responsibility and accountability, and the embodiment of divine ideas in our human experience. If every one of us can move beyond our personal "dramas" (the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves) and creates an intention to see the bigger picture, we have the capacity to "change the world."

A year ago I saw the picture posted above in my local newspaper. Antonio was three-years-old and starving to death in rural Guatemala. I decided that for as long as there were people suffering to that degree in this world, I had a responsibility to at least CARE. Otherwise, if I could turn my face and ignore the pain of a starving child, I was less than human. I recognize that there are other forms of "starvation" that also need notice. There are lonely and isolated people everywhere "starving" for attention, affection, and connection.

In fact, if there is something we as humans are "craving" more than ever is a sense of connectedness, to ourselves, to our families, to our communities, to physical nature and to the transcendent. We know, at the deepest levels of existence, that "things" will not fulfill that need. We are running on empty. That is the real "fuel crisis." I am asked to pay attention, and respond to that crisis.

I will try to post something each day, and quote both ancient and modern mystics who can say it better than I can. I hope you'll also contribute your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment